From Project Assessment Through Implementation
No longer a footnote in the portfolio of power generation resources, renewable energy projects have become increasingly diverse and complex. These projects face an array of financial, regulatory, and environmental challenges that must be addressed in parallel with the technical issues. Sargent & Lundy brings the knowledge and resources to help our clients tackle all aspects of renewable energy projects, from planning to commissioning; from evaluating generation technology options to grid interconnection solutions.
From serving as the design engineer for the first large-scale solar thermal plant in the 1980s through a wide range of services for more than 13,000 MW of wind power, Sargent & Lundy has more than 30 years of renewable energy engineering and advisory experience. Our company experts have authored reports on solar power for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and taken the lead in establishing codes and standards for wind turbine foundations.
Sargent & Lundy has served as lender’s engineer, owner’s engineer, design engineer, and construction quality control engineer for numerous renewable energy projects. Clients also tap into our broad spectrum of renewable and alternative energy consultant services to achieve their project objectives.
- Renewable Energy Integration Studies and Resource Planning
- Project Development and Planning
- Grid Interconnection Engineering
- Owner’s Engineering, EPC, and Site Services
- Grid Modernization Consulting Services
- Analytical Services for Renewable Energy Projects
- Due Diligence and Asset Transaction Services
- Conceptual and Detailed Design
- Solar and Wind Resource Assessments
- Energy Storage
- Hybrid Power Plants and Microgrids
- Renewable and Alternative Energy Publications and Presentations
- Our Renewable and Alternative Energy Services, Qualifications, & Experience > Read more
- Our Renewable Energy Concept to Operations Overview > Read more
Due Diligence and Asset Transaction Services
If your project requires expertise and extensive industry knowledge to independently assess complex financial and technical issues, Sargent & Lundy offers independent engineering and due diligence services tailored to meet your needs. We provide these services on an ongoing basis to some of the largest and most active lenders and investors in the power sector.
For technical, economic, and environmental support of transaction planning and execution, we offer asset transaction services. For investors, we can assess existing assets and documentation, perform technical and economic reviews, identify critical information gaps, pinpoint compliance and performance issues, and evaluate future potential. For sellers, we offer an independent technical report that includes asset condition assessment, performance review, environmental compliance overview, and budgets.
Conceptual and Detailed Design
Sargent & Lundy is a recognized leader in quality engineering, regulatory expertise, and facility performance with 125 years of power plant design experience. We provide conceptual and detailed design services for solar photovoltaic (PV), concentrating solar power (CSP), wind power, biomass, landfill gas, and geothermal, including the following for solar and wind technologies:
- Technology and equipment selection
- PV project layouts and optimization
- PV project electrical systems
- PV project collection switchyards and interconnection substations
- Integration of energy storage
- Integration with microgrids
- CSP thermal balance-of-plant and steam turbine systems
- Integrated solar combined cycle plants
- Wind turbine selection, micrositing, and plant layouts
- Wind turbine foundations, access roads, and crane pads
- Power collection systems
- Collection switchyards and interconnection substations
- Transmission lines
- Integration of energy storage
- Wind repowering
Our design processes include extensive electrical engineering calculations, and we regularly perform the following types of studies during our renewable energy projects: insulation coordination, open phase studies, transient overvoltage, harmonics, induction studies, grounding studies, and relay coordination studies.
For more information about substations, switchyards, and transmission lines for renewable energy projects, visit our Power Transmission page. Also see our grid interconnection analytical services flyer.
Solar and Wind Resource Assessments
Sargent & Lundy can perform an assessment of the solar or wind resource at potential project sites. Our project teams use a variety of data sources, including ground-based and satellite derived data sets as well as on site meteorological tower data and solar monitoring station data. We evaluate the quality of data sets in order to process the data appropriately and use the best combination of available information.
As part of our resource assessments, we determine the long-term expected mean generation and the uncertainty in order to provide P75, P90, P95, and P99 generation estimates. Our clients benefit from the different reports and tools we provide, such as 12×24 diagrams and 8760 data sets, which help project owners, developers, lenders, and other stakeholder companies plan and make decisions. Sargent & Lundy uses industry recognized software for these assessments, such as PVsyst, Windographer, and Openwind®.