LA CYGNE UNIT 2
La Cygne, Kansas
Powder River Basin (PRB) pulverized coal 85/15 blend / 715 MW
Client: Kansas City Power & Light
- Boiler – Foster-Wheeler, induced draft
- PSCR and Catalyst – Hitachi, high-dust design 3 + 1 configuration
- Constructor – Kiewit
- Overall Timeframe – 2011 – 2014
- Began detailed design – May 2011
- Awarded SCR reactor -September 2011
- Construction commenced – September 2012
- Tie-in outage started – September 2014
Sargent & Lundy’s overall work scope encompassed the detailed design of the structural steel and balance-of-plant (BOP) for the SCR retrofit. This included procurement of the SCR reactors and SCR ductwork. We were also responsible for all BOP design and procurement of all BOP equipment, including flue gas system modifications, ammonia supply, piles, concrete foundations, structural steel, electrical equipment, mechanical piping, etc.
The Unit 2 SCR retrofit was part of a larger EPC Air Quality Control System (AQCS) retrofit project for both Units 1 and 2. The overall AQCS retrofit included wet flue gas desulfurization (FGD) systems, distributed control system (DCS) conversions, and pulse-jet fabric filters. EPC detailed design began in 2011, and the EPC contractor, Kiewit, started construction in 2012.